I am a Ph.D. student and a graduate research assistant in the College of Information and Computer Sciences at the University of Massachusetts Amherst under the supervision of Subhransu Maji in the Computer Vision Lab. Previously, I spent three years as a graduate research assistant under the supervision of Pablo Arbeláez in the Biomedical Computer Vision Group at the Universidad de Los Andes, where I got my Master's degree in Biomedical Engineering. I got my Bachelor's degree in Electronics Engineering from Universidad del Norte in Barranquilla, Colombia.
My research interests include the design of robust and data-efficient solutions to allow better science using computer vision and AI. In particular, I have experience working in medical imaging, biology, chemistry, and astronomy domains in several computer vision tasks, including image-level classification, object detection, and semantic segmentation. Also, I'm interested in transfer learning, semi and self-supervised learning, and active learning.
- 06/27/2022 - Paper accepted at The Astrophysical Journal (ApJ).
- 05/18/2022 - Paper accepted at the 26TH International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR 2022).
- 04/29/2022 - Invited talk at the 3rd International Radar Aeroecology Conference (IRAC 2022). Video.
- 11/17/2021 - Received the CICS Outstanding Synthesis Award 2020-2021 at UMass.
- 07/07/2021 - Paper accepted at IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging.
- 11/30/2020 - StarcNet project accepted at The Astrophysical Journal (ApJ).
- 05/20/2020 - Paper accepted at Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing.
- 11/08/2019 - Invited talk about FLC dataset at Camera Trap Tech Symposium. Talk slides.
- 05/17/2019 - Paper accepted at The FGVC6 workshop, CVPR 2019.
- 09/02/2018 - Started a Ms/PhD in Computer Science at University of Massachusetts Amherst.
- 04/04/2018 - Invited talk at the Lung Nodule Malignancy Prediction @ ISBI 2018.
- 03/27/2018 - Ranked 1st place at the ISBI 2018 - Lung Nodule Malignancy Prediction Challenge.
- 10/05/2017 - Paper accepted (oral presentation) at SIPAIM2017.
- 09/01/2017 - Colciencias-Fulbright Cohort 2018 scholarship awarded to undertake Ph.D. studies in the U.S.
- 12/15/2016 - Received Best project of the faculty award at Encuentro de Experiencias en Investigación en Ingeniería (EEII). Universidad de los Andes.
- 01/18/2016 - Started a Ms in Biomedical Engineering at Universidad de los Andes.
I'm also a photography enthusiast. → Some of my photos .